Listed below are links to sociology publishers worldwide. If you would like your organisation added to this list, please email Donna Willis with a brief description and a weblink.
Acumen Publishing - an independent publisher of academic books and journals in philosophy, history of ideas, social theory and theoretical issues relating to the sociological world, for students, lecturers and researchers in institutions of higher education worldwide.
- Allen & Unwin
- Amazon.co.uk - Online seller of books; both new and used.
- Ashgate Publishing - Ashgate Publishing is one of the world's leading publishers of academic research in the social sciences and humanities.
- Association of American University Presses -The Association of American University Presses is an organisation of non-profit scholerly publishers. This website provides a list of home pages for AAUP member presses, as well as several other academic presses.
- BSA Publications Limited (the trading subsidiary for the British Sociological Assocation)publishes the academic journals ´Sociology´ and Work, Employment and Society´.
- Barnes and Noble
- Bedford, Freeman & Worth- Bedford, Freeman & Worth is a confederation of three publishing houses, each focussing on specific disciplines in order to pursue their own publishing programme, independent of the others. The website enables users to search the combined catalogues of all three publishers.
- Bookwire - Online book and journal catalogue, as well as online journal access.
- Brill Academic Publishers
- Cambridge University Press - Cambridge University Press is the publishing business of the University of Cambridge, one of the world's leading research institutions. It is the oldest publisher and printer in the world, having been operating continuously since 1584.
- Chandos Publishing (Oxford) Limited
- DA Direct -An Australian online book supplier of scholarly books, serials and electronic media.
- Edward Elgar - Founded in 1986, Edward Elgar Publishing is a leading international family publisher in the social sciences, specializing in research monographs, reference books, eBooks and upper-level textbooks in highly focused areas.
- Emerald - Established in 1967, Emerald Group Publishing Limited publishes over 700 titles comprising 200 journals, nearly 300 books and more than 200 books series as well as an extensive range of online products and services. Our strongly-held philosophy is that research should be both rigorous and relevant to connect the academic world to the world of practice. Sociology is a recent addition to Emerald's portfolio, but now marks one of our fastest-growing areas of coverage. As a discipline which touches and influences many, the breadth of content within the portfolio is significant, befitting the increasing complexity faced by researchers studying the social world. Theoretical, empirical and methodological approaches are offered which provide context to current social, political and cultural debates. As well as covering many core and developing areas within this multifaceted discipline, Emerald is privileged to publish in areas which many consider deserve better representation across the genre. This growing portfolio is truly international with core strengths in the area of work, economy and organisations, as well as the globally relevant field of politics and social change.
- Footprint Books
- Gleebooks - Online book-seller.
- Harper Collins Publishers
- Intercultural Press
- MIT Press
- McGraw-Hill - Website for the publication of Higher Education literature.
- Melbourne University Press
- Open University Press
- Oxford University Press - The Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford, publishing books and journals worldwide. In addition to publishing over 4,600 new books each year, Oxford is a major provider of online information to libraries worldwide.
- Palgrave Macmillan - Palgrave Macmillan has an established track record of international academic publishing, focussing on the Humanities, Social Sciences and Business.
- Pearson Higher Education
- Penguin - The website for this established publishing house has sites for the UK, Canada, USA, Ireland, Australia, New Zeland, India and South Africa.
- Prentice Hall
- Routledge - Routledge publishes around 1,000 new books each year and has a backlist of over 7,000 titles in print. It has also developed a journal publishing imprint that has particular emphasis on the humanities, social science, business, management and economics subject areas. Take a look at Routledge Sociology Journals.
- SAGE Publications Limited - Online sales resource for the 40-year old publishing house.
- St Martin´s Press
- Taylor & Francis Group - With offices in London, Brighton, Basingstoke and Abingdon in the UK, New York and Philadelphia in the USA and Singapore and Melbourne in the Pacific Rim, the Taylor & Francis Group publishes more than 1000 journals and around 1,800 new books each year, with a books backlist in excess of 20,000 specialist titles.
- The Co-op Bookshop
- The Haworth Press - The Haworth Press currently publishes over 200 journals and over 80 original books per year. As well as an internet bookshop, the website also offers a ´free sample journal´ feature.
- The Policy Press - As a not-for-profit organisation aiming to improve social conditions, the Policy Press are committed to publishing titles that will have an impact on research, teaching, policy and practice. Website also includes links to related sociological / social policy websites.
- University of Chicago Press
- Univeristy of Queensland Press
- Wadsworth Publishing - Includes a comprehensive and easy-to-navigate section of sociology literature.
- Westview Press - Publisher of academic and college books in the social sciences, humanities and sciences.
- Willan Publishing
- Wiley-Blackwell - offers an authoritative sociology books programme and 32 journals in sociology and directly related fields, plus more than 30 additional journals in disciplines of interest to sociologists.
Back to top.^
Return to Publications homepage.