Race & Ethnicity Study Group
The BSA Race & Ethnicity Study Group was launched at the BSA's 2002 Annual Conference (in 2005, it was amalgamated with the BSA Race Forum). It provides a network and forum for those working in the area of sociology of race and ethnicity. In addition to running an email list and a Facebook page, we organise and support member conferences and other events, and meet each year at the BSA Annual Conference. At the 2013 conference, we also had a dedicated Race and Ethnicity Sub-Stream. We currently have members working on a wide range of topics and issues related to race and ethnicity, including but not limited to: theories of race, ethnicity and racism, racisms, race relations and anti-racism, migration, education, crime and criminal justice, the far right and organised racism, youth, cultural studies, media, sport, health, postcolonialism and decoloniality.
Recent and Forthcoming Events: 2013
- Race and Ethnicity Sub-Stream (part of Social Divisions/Social Identities Stream), BSA Annual Conference, Grand Connaught Rooms, London, 3-5 April 2013. Coordinators: Stephanie Lawler, Geoff Payne and Aaron Winter
- Mixing Matters: Critical Intersectionalities: An International Postgraduate Symposium on Critical Mixed Race Studies, University of Leeds, 18 May 2013. Organised by study group member Kavyta Raghunandan, Remi Salisbury, Richard Tavernier and the Centre for Ethnicity and Racism Studies (CERS) at University of Leeds with support from the BSA Race and Ethnicity Study Group,
Study Group members have also been involved in organising events in 2013, such as:
- The Digital Race Workshop, London, 21 Feb. 2013. Organised by study group member Sanjay Sharma and the journal Darkmatter.
- Blackness in Britain: An interdisciplinary Black Studies conference, Newman University, Birmingham, 12 September 2013. Organised by study group member Kehinde Andrews and Lisa Palmer.
If you wish to take a look at past events click here to view the archive pages.
Subscribe to E-Mail Announcement List
To subscribe to the announcement list of the Race Forum and Study Group related events, send an email to JISCMAIL with the following information:
- Subject line - leave empty.
- In the body of the message, include your name after the listname:SUBSCRIBE BSA-RACE-FORUM Firstname Surname
- You will receive a welcome message confirming your subscription within one hour. If you don't receive anything check your spam/junk filters. If you have any queries or difficulties joining the list, please contact the convenors below.
- To unsubscribe from the list, send an e-mail to JISCMAIL, leave the Subject line blank, and in the message body write: UNSUBSCRIBE BSA-RACE-FORUM
- Visit the JISCMAIL archive to review past postings.
Read the Race & Ethnicity Study Group's Annual Report.
Contact the Convenors:
Newman University College
Send an email.
Goldsmiths´ College, University of London
Send an email.
University of Abertay
Send an email.
Back to top.^
Return to Study Groups homepage.