Designing and Undertaking Participatory Research: Practical Issues, Successes and Challenges
A BSA Early Career Forum Regional Event
7 April 2020 (09:45–16:30)
Sheffield Hallam University, UK (City Campus, Charles Street)
About the Event
You are invited to a one-day workshop bringing together researchers working with or interested in participatory research approaches. This Regional Event will bring together sociologists, who are pioneering participatory approaches and research methods, to share their ideas, expertise and experiences of designing and conducting participatory research. It will be a forum to discuss best practice, practical issues, ethical issues and the successes and challenges of this approach. It will also explore this in relation to academic frameworks, and the practical issues of using participatory approaches within academic structures.
The workshop is a one-day event which will include: presentations with Q&A; lunch and refreshments (included); and a round table discussion to network and share ideas.
Call for Papers
You are invited to submit an abstract (max 200 words) for a 15-minute presentation on your research. Presentations are sought on the following themes:
- Designing participatory research.
- Different methodological approaches to participatory research and innovative methods.
- Experiences of using participatory research methods, and the successes and challenges of doing so.
- Facilitating participation and co-productive working at different stages of the research process (e.g. recruitment, analysis or dissemination etc).
- The practicalities of doing participatory research and reflexive thoughts.
- Participatory research and ethical considerations.
- Participatory research, politics and activism.
- Negotiating participatory research within academic frameworks (e.g. A PhD, gaining ethical approval, publishing etc)
- Developing research grants for participatory research.
Please submit abstracts by: Friday, 31 January 2020. Bursaries of up to £50 are available to cover travel expenses for presenters.
- BSA members: £5
- Non-BSA members: £15
Lunch and refreshments included
Organised by Ruth Beresford, for further information about the event, bursaries or to submit an abstract please contact Ruth Beresford.